5.15.2006

Pitch At Bonds


After watching a delightful three-game set between the Dodgies and Giants this weekend, it occurred to me all that I have to be thankful for...most importantly, is my not being a Giants fan.

I've sat through my share of misery. My bro-in-law Scott and I watched 20+ games in 2001, 2002 and 2003 (nearly the worst team ever) in Detroit and countless hundreds on TV. I sat through the destruction of the Dodgers last year. I've moaned and complained when times were tough and enjoyed the good times when the game saw fit to deliver a ray of sun my way.

But I've never had to stand and cheer and get all excited about a guy who is, by all accounts, a fraud and a miserable human being. I've never had to put blinders on to enjoy my teams. I've never had to blot out the fundamental weakness of my team to enjoy a meaningless record chase by a man who wouldn't shake my hand if I returned his wallet to him.

Better still, I've never been a fan of a team financially handcuffed by someone like that. (Thanks for not signing, Juan-Gon) And despite the standing ovations every time he wobbled out to left field or got halfway up the line on another dud hit, I can't imagine what a misery that must be to go through that.

So to the sad old guy with the little sign behind the plate: "Pitch to Barry"...yikes, dude.

No comments: