7.03.2007


This Is My Niece


Her name is Maggie and I am very proud.


Now on to the season. We're at the half way point and we still have a few weeks before the real season starts (August 1). And of course this is the critical time when teams decide if they are playoff contenders or not by July 31. My travels navigate me through the Chicago market and I get to tune in to the creative exploits of Chicagoland sports radio. The city is fortunate enough to have 2 big league teams and unfortunately my attention is drawn to the White Sox because they are two spots behind the Tigers in the AL Central. Much yak over the last week has been what to do with Mark Buehrle. The left -hander wants a no-trade clause added to a possible 4 year 56M contract. The Sox refuse to grant the clause because the GM believes he wouldn't be able to build a contending team to fill other areas. I disagree because Buehrle is a coveted asset in that he is a left handed starting pitcher who pitches 200 innings, wins 14 games, doesn't go on the DL, and is in his prime at 28. This is what you build around. Not settling a deal and trading him would start a fire sale and send the Sox back at least 5 years. As a Tiger fan, I would say to Buehrle don't let the door hit you on the way out of Chicago. As a fan of the game, I would say letting this pitcher go would be a drastically huge mistake. Give the guy the clause.

2 comments:

somebodytogobackintimewith said...

Plus his repertoire makes him less conducive to injury than normal.
*
His performance sagged in 06, but I think we can now safely attribute that to the lingering effects of the aught-5 playoffs.
*
More than that though Buerhle is a quality guy. He genuinely loves the game and the city. From his Dempsey-esque tarp slides, to catching every ceremonial first pitch on non-start days to volunteering to come out of the bullpen to save game 3 of the WS, Buerhle is everything you could want as a player and ambassador for Chicago.
*
I have to believe Williams is getting these hard line directives from the Chairman. And if Buerhle leaves the Sox as a result, the Jerry Reinsdorf death watch will officially begin.
*
Congratulations on becoming an uncle Scott; I had you pegged as grade-A uncle material from the get go.

Devil Ray Love said...

Thanks a bunch. I look forward to spoiling her rotten!