6.15.2006

Baseball, Rock 'n' Roll, and America

So I e-mailed some dudes:

I'm going to have this quote framed:

"I'm not going to go on this emotional roller-coaster that people around here want to go on," Leyland said. "Win two or three in a row, we're the greatest thing since Post Toasties. Lose one, and everybody is like, 'Oh, my God, what are we going to do?'"


After a few more rounds, Deuce made a crack about this Post Toasties kid looking like Brandon Inge.


I shot back he looked more like Jim Walewander, which led Hud to interject that he saw Walewander's only Major League homer in 1987 (which I submit is an obscure but important little slice of American history). With apologies to Walewander, an obvious but crucial Dead Milkmen reference was made.

A few rounds later, Walt Whitman was introduced into the conversation, Schmidt threw in Zach Braff and then I raised him a Frank Tanana. (On my own tonight, Frank T. led me to Matt Nokes, my all-time favorite Tiger, and then Scott Lusader. Scott Lusader for the love of God.)


So where does this all lead? Just back down the road a bit. But as I wrote Hud at one point, "I love baseball, rock 'n' roll, and America."

1 comment:

Deuce said...

Good summary.