5.09.2008

Saw This One Coming: Jim Edmonds Cut Loose


When not frat-boying with the bar crowd, the Padres' Jim Edmonds has been spending his 2008 muffing fly balls and striking out a whole bunch. After sitting a game, pinch-hitting into a ground out after a double-switch, apparently Bud Black & Co. had seen enough.

It was strange watching Edmonds (the bane of Edmunds.com's existence, BTW) this year. I knew he had annoyed the Cardinals to the point of being let go, if I'm remembering correctly. But I definitely remembered that unbelievable knack for catching balls hit over his head or out of reach BEHIND him in the outfield. He really was automatic on those. And his bat was pretty impressive, too, standing for a time as one of the power threats of the Pujol's Era St. Lunatics.

But, it just didn't happen this year. I chalked it up early to playing Center in such a massive ballpark, but I guess it just wasn't too be. Adios, Jim. You made some of the best catches I've ever seen.

1 comment:

somebodytogobackintimewith said...

A cynic (not me) would argue he had to dive all the time because he was out of position all the time.

See my latest post; Edmonds' replacement is really making a go of it.