8.11.2006

Gr-r-reat!

" If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go. If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I'd just assume stay home. If they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, just send me to hell or Salt Lake City it'd be about the same to me," U. Kracker


As George Kell used to open the old WDIV broadcasts, "Hello Everybody!" It's been awhile for me to appear on this blog wave ~ I know.

So here's the news: we're in the middle of August and the lead on ESPN SportCenter each night is a second place team from the American League East. Eventually after they self-promote and ask every Boston columnist why Papelbon's ERA is above .9, just then do they flash the Tiger boxscore.

Can anyone name the skipper who stacks his starting rotation just so they can face a divisional leader for two consecutive weeks and in the process forcing the best rookie pitcher in the big leagues to the DL ? That's right ! It's "Gardy!" What a leader, risking the bright future of a young superstar just so the Twins don't get bitch slapped by a team that doesn't cut corners with it's roster ~ "The Tigahs!", E. Harwell.

This season has been something I've waited for going on literally decades. In a sense, I feel like a Comerica Pioneer. All of us who witnessed the bitterness of the early 2000's should. There was Mike and I, sitting in the bleachers in April 2002, 47 degrees, 5,000 fans, Angels 10, "Tigahs" 0. The heckles for Tim Salmon, " ..Never had an arm.." came the shouts. Who would've thought the turn around would've happened this rapidly ? Certainly not this gent. I said 78 wins in 2006. They have that total nearing the middle of August. Good thing I'm not a gambler.

3 ///

No comments: