8.11.2006

The method behind the madness: A retort

CHICAGO - The morning papers are reporting that Guillen's ejection was a calculated protest of an entire series of questionable calls in the field, and Sox pitchers' strike zones getting squeezed. And I mean extremely calculated; he flat out told reporters before the game he would be gone by the fifth (he was off by an inning).

I don't remember any particularly egregious umpiring decisions in the series although, man, I haven't seen Yankee hitters 'work the count' like that in years.

As far as him kidding about Vazquez making it to the 7th inning, that was a straight up joke. And after a season's worth of starts like Thursday's (5 innings, 6 hits, 8 walks) I think a little levity is in order any time Javy's still on the mound when the lights take effect.

I can’t really defend Ozzie’s antics in a larger sense. It’s possible to do, just very tiring. What I can defend pretty easily is his record, which includes a World Series and a playoff berth, were the season to end today. So until he actually hits somebody or something, I’m in his corner.
*
Look for me and Steve 10 rows behind the plate Sunday. We'll be the ones not cheering for anybody.

1 comment:

Hud said...

Bullcrap you won't be cheering.

As for OG's record...that's the only thing saving his azz. The threat is there of this turning into the Bobby Knight of the South Side Circus...a guy who won once (with one hell of a team, mind you) and then does fairly well after that (with a hell of a team, mind you). And when winning isn't selling seats, out comes the clown act.

I seem to recall "If we win, I'm quitting" being said last year during a losing streak.

Either way, this is a great time to be along I-94.