8.06.2006

Why George Steinbrenner Cheeses Me Off, Part 6,491


SO LONG FU MANCHU

You might recall that earlier in the season I posted about Sal Fasano and how seeing the Philadelphia fans respond to him was a highlight of my trip to Citizen's Bank park. Sal was made for South Phili--he knew it and they knew it and that made for a lovely and unlikely synchronicity and tons of genuine enthusiasm. Best of all was Sal's fu manchu, a signature look in a game that always needs personality . . .

Well anyway, a few weeks ago, the Yankees traded for Fasano, not only separating him from a natural home in Philadelphia, but obliging him to conform to the Yankee grooming policy. The fu manchu is gone, the mangy hair is gone, the South Phili fan club is gone and the Yankees are still the most annoying organization in pro sports.

6 comments:

The Narrator said...

And why does Mattingly get to keep his mustache?

somebodytogobackintimewith said...

1. Because he's Donnie Baseball.

2. I don't think reasonably well-kempt facial hair is an issue with the boss (Randy Johnson, Thurman Munson, Reggie Jackson, Willie Randolph, Oscar-FREAKIN-Gamble).

3. Call me stuffy, but wearing the hat of the team you represent backward in an official capacity is a BIG no-no in my book.

No soup for Sal.

Hud said...

He's a catcher. He's never worn his hat any other way. To change now would be insanity. This is not Nam. There are rules.

somebodytogobackintimewith said...

Touche on the catcher's gear.

In the piccie though he is wearing a cap and I stand by my position re: caps. . . and I'm sounding a little more pro-Yankee than I'd like so I'm going to shut up now.

Hud said...

I see that it's a cap...but a catcher is a catcher 24/7...not just on your schedule.

Besides, his batting average is much more disrespectful to the people of Philly than anything.

Deuce said...

Yeah, Fasano is so old-school, he probably wears his backwards cap beneath his backwards helmet throughout the game. No "hockey-style" catcher's mask for Sal.

He has kept a neat moustache on the Yanks, btw, which is, yes, okay with Big George. But the shaggy hair and the Fu Manchu had to go.